Many single mothers are not aware of many specialized no-cost services available to them in their local communities. To help you locate these services, I am going to be featuring various local organizations that have excellent programs to support you as a single mother at various stages in life.
Dress for Success Toronto is one of such organizations. If you live in Toronto area, in this post you can learn what programs they have to support you.
Why and when did DFS (Dress For Success Toronto) begin to provide services to single mothers?
– Since 2009, Dress for Success Toronto has helped over 20,000 women in the GTHA transition from unemployment to economic independence. We work together with agency partners, corporate sponsors, individual donors, and over 100 dedicated volunteers to create real impact in women’s lives.
At DFS Toronto, we believe every woman has the right to realize her full potential and achieve financial independence. With access to relevant and meaningful tools and resources, when we come together as a community this world is possible. In 2022, we launched community-based learning and networking spaces to bring together women at similar stages in their work and life. These multi-week cohort experiences began with a Working Women’s Group, tailored to Clients recently employed and looking for support as they transition back into the workforce. Other groups welcome those who identify as 2SLGBTQ+, job seekers, newcomers, and single mothers.
Recognizing the significant role women have in our economic development, our efforts focus on building a stronger workforce for future generations. Prioritizing agency and knowledge strengthens the connection between gender equality and economic sustainability, empowering women to generate long-term impact in both their private and personal lives.
Is it a local program only, or also available Canada wide?
– Dress for Success Toronto is part of a global movement for change. We are a local affiliate of an international not-for-profit organization operating in over 143 cities in 23 countries who collectively have helped more than 1.3 million women work towards self-sufficiency. There are 13 affiliates across Canada, each offering a similar, but unique set of programs and services to meet the needs of their specific community.
What are some services that are provided to aid single mothers and their children?
– At DFS Toronto, our Client programs and services are available free of charge to all women and non-binary individuals residing in the GTHA. Whether the need is for clothing for interviews or a new/current job, help with resumes and cover letters, or access to upskilling, we strive to offer support with as few barriers as possible. Programs include one-on-one discussions with Career Specialists, online skill development workshops, group learning programs, and suiting and styling services.
What are the criteria to be eligible for the services provided?
– Client Programs and Services are available free of charge to all women* and non-binary individuals residing in the GTHA. *DFS Toronto uses the term “women” in a gender expansive way to include any woman-identified individual, including cis, trans, non-binary, gender non-conforming, gender queer, and Two-Spirit.
What are some of the biggest needs that DFS Toronto is seeing among single mothers?
– Single mothers, like other DFS Toronto Clients, are unique individuals with needs that vary depending on their specific situation. Single mothers have shared that they face complex and intersecting barriers, with many struggling to find balance in their work and personal lives while navigating parenting and financial responsibilities.
Some of these challenges include burnout and building time for themselves and their wellness and wellbeing; finding accessible daycare and childcare support; navigating finances that allow them to support their children and live above the poverty line; building self-trust and confidence; and finding a community where they can both receive and offer support.
What is your dedicated website page or contact information where single mothers can get in touch with your DFS Toronto chapter to learn more about how you can help?
We can be reached at email@example.com and 416-901-6022 ex 5030 Client Services | Dress for Success